Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Smells Like New Year

(to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit")
 
My Christmas tree
Standing there
The needles loose
And everywhere
I miss the lights
And bulbs galore
I sadly haul it
Out the door

So long, so long, so long, so long, all gone
All gone, all gone, all gone, all gone, Jan one
Jan one, Jan one, Jan one, Jan one, been fun
Been fun, been fun, been fun, been fun

To the tree I’m
Quite allergic
Wipe the floor down
With detergent
I was happy
I was content
But I wonder
Where the year went

Did we have snow?
Did the lights glow?
What do I know?
Ipso facto
Yeah…

I reflect on
Holidays
A ham sandwich
With mayonnaise
Gifts underneath
The branches green
Reminds me of
A Rockwell scene

He drew, he drew, he drew, he drew, adieu
Adieu, adieu, adieu, adieu, to you
To you, to you, to you, you, et tu.
Et tu, et tu, et tu, et tu

And the new year
Seems so spacious
And the first days
Are the strangest
No, we can’t see
What awaits us
I just hope I’ll
Be more gracious

What I’m eating
Where I’m singing
No more speeding
And more reading
Yay…

I’ll minimize
All of the haste
I know, it’s hard
It takes a while
Three hundred days
And sixty-five
I hope this year
To stay alive

Survive, survive, survive, survive, oh my
Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my, will I
Will I, will I, will I, will I, get by
Get by, get by, get by, get by

As I clean up
All the past cheer
I’m reminded
Of the frontier
I shall go forth
And show no fear
And go boldly
Through the new year

No complaining
Do some painting
Entertaining
What’s remaining?
Yay…

No comments:

Post a Comment