Monday, August 9, 2010

Runnin' Out of Things


(to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Runnin' Down a Dream)

It was the top of my day,
The coffee ground
I had DiMaggio on,
I was smilin’
Dark brew complete
And smells were creeping
Then the trouble came
No denyin’

Was runnin’ out of cream
An additive I would need
Counteract the sleepy me
Fixin’ my critical need
Runnin’ out of cream

When lunchtime came
I looked for something edible
Maybe something cold
Or something fried
With crackers lain,
The cheese was unspreadable
It was like this morn
Short supply

Was runnin’ out of brie
The softer form of a cheese
Savorin’ a cheese esprit
Tastin’ full flavor and glee
Runnin’ out of brie

I got home
And the moon came out
I cranked the speakers loud
To wake my mind
Fresh salad’s good
Crunchy, light, and mild
What I forgot
That head of mine

Was runnin out of leeks
The greener goods et by me
Fresher stalk of celery
Maybe cucumbers and greens
Runnin’ out of leeks

I’m runnin’ out of things
The items I love to eat
Goin’ to the grocery
Payin’ by credit or lien
Runnin’ out of things.

Copyright 2010 Warren Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment